- Pentothal is a prescription drug belonging to the group of drugs known as barbiturates. According to Drugs.com, these types of drugs slow activity in the brain and the nervous system, causing a general relaxation of the body. Because of this relaxation, Pentothal is useful in patients about to undergo anesthesia and individuals suffering from seizures. Pentothal works specifically as a depressant to the central nervous system.
Common Side Effects
- According to Drugs.com, users of Pentothal may experience a number of common side effects, including dizziness, clumsiness, lightheadedness, coughing, sneezing, and hiccups. Although less serious than others, the persistence of any of the side effects from the preceding list may signal a greater problem and should be dealt with immediately. Worsening side effects are also a sign of a serious condition.
Serious Side Effects
- The use of Pentothal can cause a variety of serious side effects, including slow breathing, irregular heartbeat, fast heartbeat, extreme dizziness, hallucinations and fever. Pentothal may also trigger a severe allergic reaction, which causes swelling of the face and severe skin irritation. Contact your doctor immediately if any of these serious side effects occur.
- Always take Pentothal exactly as prescribed to you by your doctor by never altering the dose or duration of use. Pentothal is frequently administered by your doctor, but if you are taking Pentothal at home, be sure to follow the correct injecting procedure. Never reuse needles or syringes and never use a cracked or discolored vile. In the case of a missed dose, never take a double dose to compensate. Always use Pentothal while in a reclined position.
- According to the FDA, Pentothal is a drug that may cause harm to unborn fetuses. The medication may also pass through breast milk and cause harm to a nursing child. Driving or operating heavy machinery can be extremely dangerous due to the side effects of drowsiness and dizziness. The use of alcohol will increase the side effects of this depressant. Use of Pentothal in the elderly is cautioned. Drugs.com reports that Pentothal can decrease the effectiveness of certain birth control medications.