Homemade Outdoor Stepping Stones With Footprints
- 1). Prepare the mold for your stepping stones. Stepping stone molds may be bought from craft stores or you can use concrete molds available at home improvement stores. Disposable aluminum pie tins or pizza boxes also work as molds. Spray the inside of the mold with nonstick cooking spray so the stepping stone will be easy to remove.
- 2). Mix stepping stone mix with water in a bucket according to the label's directions. Or use quick-drying concrete mix if you don't mind the finished stepping stones having a rough texture. Stepping stone mix creates a smoother stepping stone.
- 3). Pour the prepared stepping stone mix into the mold. Smooth the mix with a spoon and tap the mold gently on a flat surface to eliminate any air bubbles in the mix.
- 4). Spray a clean foot with nonstick cooking spray and press the foot down until it is halfway toward the bottom of the mold. Remove the foot and wash off any mix with a garden hose outside. Do not rinse feet in a bathtub or sink because the stepping stone mix could clog the drain.
- 5). Add decorations to the stepping stone before it sets, such as pieces of broken tile, colored stones or seashells.
- 6). Let the stepping stone dry for at least 24 hours to ensure that it is completely dry and hard. Turn the mold upside down and gently tap on the back of the mold; the stepping stone should slide out.