How to Crochet a Stretch Headband
Headband in the Round
- 1). Measure the head size minus one inch for your headband size. Make a chain the length of the headband measurement. Use a slip stitch to join the chain into a circle, taking care not to twist the chain. This band is worked in a circle using a double crochet stitch.
- 2). Make three chain stitches. Double crochet in the fourth chain stitch from the hook. Continue with one double crochet in each chain stitch around the band. Use a slip stitch to join the row together at the end. Chain three stitches and work one double crochet in the first double crochet stitch. Continue around with one double crochet in each stitch. Use a slip stitch to join at the end of the row.
- 3). Continue to work around the band, repeating Step 2 until the band is the width you want. When you have reached the desired width, join with a slip stitch at the end of the row. Fasten off by chaining one stitch, cutting the yarn and leaving it about four inches long, and pulling the yarn through the chain stitch to form a knot. Use a yarn needle and weave a few inches of the yarn tails into the stitching. Trim off excess yarn. Embellish as desired with ribbons, beads, buttons or flowers.
- 4). Use a needle and thread and two buttons to make a double-ended fastener to tighten the headband if it is too loose. String two 3/4-inch buttons together holding them about one inch apart on the thread. Pass the thread through the holes in each button several times to make a strong bar of thread between them. Knot the thread and cut off the excess.
- 5). Insert one end of the fastener through the back side of the headband. Fold over the excess band length and insert the button through it to form a pleat.
- 1). Chain stitch a row the desired width of the band and add three more chain stitches. Work one double crochet in the fourth chain from the hook. Work one double crochet in each chain stitch to the end of the row. Make three chain stitches and turn the work over.
- 2). Work one double crochet in the first double crochet. Continue across with one double crochet in each stitch. Chain three and turn.
- 3). Repeat Step 2 until you have the desired headband length. Measure the band as you work and allow for stretching. When you have crocheted the desired length, fasten off by chaining one stitch, cutting the yarn leaving a long yarn tail, and pulling the yarn through the chain stitch to form a knot. Use a yarn needle and sew the ends of the headband together. Weave a few inches of the yarn tails into the stitching. Trim off excess yarn.