Children's Pageant Hairstyles
- The classic up-do consists of the hair piled up on top of the head. It can be close to the crown or at the nape of the neck. Set the girl's hair in rollers to get plenty of curls, then pull all the hair up to the top of the head. Hold it in place with hair pins or a scrunchy and let the curls hang loosely like ringlets. One piece of hair wrapped around the scrunchy makes the look sleeker. Alternately, pretty ribbons make the style more youthful and sweet.
Side Swept Ponytail
- The side swept ponytail is a classic pageant look for young girls. It is a sleek style that is also easy to do. The girl's hair needs to be at least shoulder length. Brush the hair into a ponytail that is gathered at one side of the neck. Fasten with a fancy ribbon or barrette. Curl the hair into one large ringlet that sits forward on the girl's shoulder. The hair can be put into the ponytail first, then wet and wrapped around one large roller.
- The cascade hairstyle really highlights the girl's hair and shows it off as her crowning glory. The hair is pulled back from the face, so her face is visible in all its beauty. The hair is then pinned back, in the same manner as if she were wearing a headband, but hair pins are used instead. A cascade of layered curls flows down her back to produce a glorious effect of shiny curls.
- The flip hair style is similar to ones worn in the 1960s. It is a sleek, sophisticated, and slightly mature style. Set the hair going under in large hot rollers. After the rollers cool take them out and tease the hair. The hair is then pulled straight back and allowed to flip up at the ends. This hairstyle needs to be heavily sprayed with hairspray to keep it in place.
- Other hairstyle considerations are available for the young miss. Some are simple, every day styles. The hair can be parted in the middle or on the side with bangs and allowed to fall naturally down. The side-swept bang is a popular option. The French braid, along with any braid or pony tail are also classic styles. Pig tails should be left to very young girls. Some older girls might wear a French twist or chignon.