How to Apply for Disability in Washington State
- 1). Visit the Division of Disability Determination Services website online. This division is based out of Washington and offers information on disability programs including Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) and Supplemental Security Income (SSI). The Division of Disability Determination Services will help you determine whether or not you are eligible to receive disability benefits before you apply.
- 2). Determine whether or not you qualify for disability benefits through the state of Washington. The DDDS will go over the requirements for each disability benefits program with you to help you determine whether or not your qualifications match up.
- 3). Submit your initial application through the DDDS or your local Social Security Administration field office. Your application should contain all applicable evidence and information pertaining to your disability, your inability to work and any past work that you have done. The more complete that your claim is, the more quickly the application process will typically be.
- 4). Wait for a response on your disability application. If you are approved for disability benefits, the rest of the process will be explained to you by the specialist on your case. If you are declined disability benefits, you have three additional chances to be approved, which are called reconsiderations.
- 5). Contact a social security disability attorney if you are having trouble on your own. Social security disability attorneys are experienced in helping individuals plead their disability cases and can help steer your application in the right direction if you are not approved the first time you apply. Speak to your local Washington DDDS office for help finding a reputable attorney in your area.