How to Tow With a Crossover
- 1). Open your vehicle's owner's manual, and find the vehicle's towing capacity. This is the maximum weight your vehicle can tow safely.
- 2). Look on the data plate on the trailer for the gross trailer weight (GTW). Add this number to the weight of any cargo you will be loading into it.
- 3). Assure the trailer's weight plus the cargo's weight is less than or equal to the vehicle's towing capability.
- 4). Lower the trailer's coupler onto the vehicle's hitch, and close the latch on top. Lock the latch with a padlock or cotter pin. It is important that the coupler size match the hitch size to avoid detaching while driving.
- 5). Take the left trailer chain and connect it to the right side of the crossover, and the right chain to the left side.
- 6). Fasten the trailer's wiring harness to the vehicle's electrical receiver. If they do not connect, an adapter can be purchased at a local hardware store. Check that the trailer's lights are operating properly.
- 7). Double check all connections and inspect the trailer and vehicle for any conditions which may affect a safe road trip.