Mexican Riviera Cruise Tips
Time of Year
- The first step is choosing the time of year. Fortunately, a Mexican Riviera cruise can be planned and scheduled any time of the year. August and September are the warmest months, when temperatures reach into the 90s. The remaining months maintain temperatures in the 70s and 80s. June to August is the high season and most expensive; scheduling a cruise from November to March will save money and still provide wonderful weather.
- Most Mexican Riviera cruises depart Los Angeles. If you don't live in the area, book your a minimum of 10 days in advance. Airline tickets are much less expensive if you buy them ahead of time, and that could possibly save you hundreds of dollars.
- There are several items you'll need in your suitcase. Hats, sunglasses and appropriate clothes are necessities. If you plan on buying them on location, plan on paying a lot of money. Mexico requires a passport; bringing a driver's license or another form of photo ID is optimal for coastal stops. Bring your own toiletries such as toothpaste, toothbrushes, shampoo, conditioner and personal grooming items.
Choosing a Cruise Line
- Holland America, Royal Caribbean, Carnival, Norwegian and Crystal cruise lines offer a number of cruise times and itineraries. All these lines offer cruises throughout the year.
- Major tourist destinations that need to be visited are Acapulco, Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta. Acapulco offers pristine beaches and cliff-jumping opportunities for the adventurous. In Cabo San Lucas, swim with dolphins and watch for whales. Mazatlan is known for beaches crowned by cliff walls, and it has Mexico's largest brewery, Pacifico Brewery. Puerto Vallarta is a world-renowned for golden-sand beaches, warm, clear waters and a bustling tourist area full of cafes and shops. In the historic downtown district lies the Cathedral of Our Lady of Guadalupe. Built in 1929, it is a majestic Catholic church revered for its architecture. Put at least a few of these tourist-friendly cities are on your cruise schedule.