Health & Medical Disability

How to Apply for Disability for an Adult Child With Special Needs

    • 1). Call the Social Security Administration at 800-772-1213 (or the TTY number, 800-325-0778, for the hearing-impaired). Make an appointment to apply for disability benefits for an adult child. Ask for the Adult Starter Kit, which will contain a Medical and Job Worksheet. The kit also is available as a printable PDF at the Social Security Administration website.

    • 2). Complete the Medical and Job Worksheet. Gather medical records, certified birth certificate, proof of citizenship, record of military service, earnings records, Social Security numbers, medical expense records, household expense records and record of assets.

    • 3). Attend the application appointment with the Social Security Administration worker assigned to your case. He will make copies of your documents and return the originals to you. He also will also provide you with additional paperwork that is a summary of your visit.

    • 4). File your paperwork in a safe location at home, in case the Social Security Administration loses your file. Many of these papers also can be useful for other events such as changing doctors or applying for other benefits.

    • 5). Wait two to five months for a determination in your claim for disability benefits. If you do not hear anything by the end of five months, contact the office where you applied for benefits.

    • 6). File an appeal if you disagree with the Social Security Administration's determination. Call the Social Security Administration office or the local office where you applied for benefits.

Leave a reply