How to Receive Land for Service Dogs
- 1). Create a nonprofit organization that is either a trust, corporation or association and file the necessary paperwork with the government. Recruit local sponsors to help fund operating costs through fund-raising activities.
- 2). Apply for tax-exempt status through the IRS under Section 501 (c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Provide all necessary documentation about your organization such as a mission statement and other organizing documents, Form 1023 Application for Recognition of Exemption, Employer Identification Number (EIN), financial statements and purposed budgets. Send application to the following address:
Internal Revenue Service
P.O. Box 12192
Covington, KY 41012-0192
- 3). Apply for a grant to purchase tax-exempt land for your organization through a not-for-profit or nonprofit charity organization such as Planet Dog Foundation or Assistance Dog United Campaign.
- 4). Locate and purchase land with the provided grant money that would be suitable for raising and training service dogs with the help of a realtor.
- 5). Locate a land donor by implementing various fund-raising techniques such as notifying the local media, posting fliers in veterinarian's offices and pet stores, and soliciting on Internet sources such as craigslist.