How to Germinate Trachycarpus Fortunei Seeds
- 1). Combine 1 tsp. hydrogen peroxide and 1 cup water in a bowl. Place the T. fortunei seeds in the solution and allow them to soak for 24 hours. Change the solution twice -- every eight hours.
- 2). Discard any seeds that float to the top; they aren't viable.
- 3). Moisten 2 cups vermiculite with 2 tbsp. water and mix thoroughly. The vermiculite should feel dry. Pour the vermiculite into the plastic bag and push the seeds into it until they are enveloped.
- 4). Place the sealed bag in a warm area, such as on top of the refrigerator or water heater. The ideal soil temperature for T. fortunei seed germination is 90 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 5). Check the seeds every day. If the vermiculite feels dryer than when you started, add a few drops of water. Check the seeds carefully for roots. When they appear, transplant the seedlings.
- 6). Combine equal parts of compost and coarse sand and pour it into planting pots. Carefully remove the seeds from the bag and plant them 1/2 inch deep. Water the soil until it is moist and place the pots back in the germination area. The seeds should sprout within eight to 12 weeks.