How to Move to Tehachapi, California
- 1). Visit Tehachapi. Prior to moving to a new location, it is wise to take a short trip there first even if it's just for a long weekend. You can check out the neighborhoods, schools and entertainment areas. Familiarize yourself with the area so you don't feel so overwhelmed when you make the move. This will also help you decide on a residence, if you haven't already done so. You will also be able to take care of necessary paperwork prior to your move.
- 2). Take care of all your legal paperwork. You will need to apply for a California driver's license and register your vehicle. Because Tehachapi no longer has a DMV office, you will need to call the Arvin DMV office at 800-777-0133 or visit the office at 317 Campus Drive, Arvin, CA 93203.
- 3). Call the Tehachapi Unified School District at 661-822-2100. If you have children, you will need to register them in school. During your visit to California, you can also visit the school board at 400 South Snyder Avenue in Tehachapi.
- 4). Register to vote in California. If you are a registered voter and wish to vote after your move to Tehachapi, you can go to the Registrar of Voters located at 1115 Truxtun Avenue, 1st Floor, Bakersfield. You can also call the office at 1-800-452-8683. The office hours are from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- 5). Hire a reputable moving company. If the price of a moving company is not in your budget, you can rent a moving truck and do it yourself. Depending on your needs and how many people are going to help you move, a moving company may prove to be more efficient.