How to Disconnect Gear Shift Cable in a Cherokee
- 1). Remove the shift panel mounted around the shifter using a screwdriver and slide it off over the top of the shifter handle.
- 2). Remove the bolt that connects the shift cable to the shifter arm by using a wrench.
- 3). Engage the Cherokee's emergency brake and use a jack to raise the rear end of the vehicle. Slide the jack stand into position and set the Cherokee on the stand.
- 4). Trace the cable from the front middle section of the vehicle to the transmission. Use a socket set to remove the bolt holding the gearshift cable to the transmission.
- 5). Slide the transmision sleeve backward on the cable to access the transmision linkage. Use the socket set to loosen the bolt attaching the shift cable to the transmission linkage.