How to Convert MP4 Video to SMV
Convert the MP4 to AVI
- 1). Use Media-Convert to make the conversion from MP4 to AVI. The Media-Convert website (see Resources) is free and can handle this format conversion.
- 2). Upload the MP4 file that you want to convert to Media-Convert. Depending on the browser you are using, the button to upload a file may be marked either "Browse" or "Choose File" on Media-Convert's home page.
- 3). Choose AVI as the export format in the box next to "Output format." AVI is listed as "Audio Video Interleave (.avi)."
- 4). Press the "OK" button to start converting the file. A box in which the conversion progress is tracked will appear in the middle of the screen. When the file is converted, a link will be supplied to download the AVI file to your computer.
Convert AVI to SMV
- 1). Download the video-conversion software. The SMV Converter Tool, which is freeware that can create SMV files out of several file types, including AVI, is used in this example. Follow the screens to install the program to your computer.
- 2). Open the SMV Converter Tool and add the AVI file. Click on the button with three dots next to "Input Video." Browse your hard drive and click "Open" when you find the file. This will open the "ActiveMovie Window" where your file will begin to play.
- 3). Name your output file and choose an output destination. The box next to the "Output File" line will automatically fill in. It will choose the same folder that your original AVI file came from as the output folder and give the SMV file the same name as the AVI. If you would like to change either of these options, click the button with three dots next to "Output File." On the window that pops up, you will be able to browse for a folder of your choice and rename the file. When you have finished, click "OK" to return to the main screen.
- 4). Click "Convert." The "Selection" bar at the bottom of the SMV Converter screen will move to show the progress, and when the conversion is complete, "Job Completed" will appear in the box next to "Input Video." Your SMV file will now be available in the folder you selected.