How to Replace a Miata Soft Top
- 1). Wrap the body of your Mazda with fender covers and wrap some paper with masking tape at the ends of the back window of the new top.
- 2). Disassemble your Mazda top's clips and Philips screws from the rear deck by swiveling a Philips screwdriver in a counterclockwise motion, and pull and disassemble the rear carpeting.
- 3). Disassemble the plastic clips from the rain rail and the nuts from the back of your Mazda's top, by swiveling a metric socket wrench counterclockwise, and then pull off the three bars from the rear.
- 4). Fold your Mazda's top at its center point, disassemble the screws from the set plate by swiveling a slotted screwdriver in a counterclockwise motion, then disassemble the molding with your hands and disassemble your Mazda's weather strip mounts by swiveling a Philips screwdriver in a counterclockwise motion.
- 5). Disassemble the rivets from your Mazda top's fabric by placing a rivet gun over the rivets, and disassemble the spring and screw that hold down the cable by swiveling a slotted screwdriver in a counterclockwise motion, and then grab and slide off the cable.
- 6). Strip off the Mazda's fabric by pulling at the fabric with a flat-blade screwdriver placed between the bows. Disassemble the rivets from the rain rail by placing a rivet gun over the rivets, and disassemble the bolts with a metric socket wrench, then you can assemble the rain rail to the Mazda's new top by reassembling the rivets and bolts to the specially-marked holes on the new top.
- 7). Take the Mazda top and put it on top of the Mazda's frame, assemble the cable to the strings located at either end of the Mazda top, then put the Mazda's set plate, weather stripping, and the rear of the top onto the Mazda, put the fabric over the top bows, with the rear of the fabric at the rear slot, and then use pliers to bind it.