How to Create a Trellis for Vines
- 1). Lay two, 3-foot long stakes horizontally on a flat surface, 18 inches apart. Place a third, 3-foot long stake horizontally and 16 inches below the second stake. These are the crosspieces for the trellis.
- 2). Place the 6-foot long stake centered vertically across the crosspieces, flush with the top centerpiece. The crosspiece will overhang the last centerpiece by 4 1/2 inches.
- 3). Attach the vertical centerpiece to the crosspieces at each joint using a 1 3/4-inch nail.
- 4). Measure 3 1/2 inches in from the sides of each crosspiece and make a mark.
- 5). Lay the two 5-foot stakes vertically and on top of the crosspieces, even with the marks. Secure the side pieces to the cross pieces at each joint using 3 1/4-inch nails.
- 6). Place one 22 1/2 inch stake from the inside meeting point of the top crosspiece and the centerpiece to the outside meeting place of the second cross piece and the vertical side piece. Slightly overlap the stake at the first crosspiece. Repeat this on the other side with the second 22 1/2 inch stake. Nail these horizontal pieces at the joints.
- 7). Place one 25-inch long stake from the inside meeting point of the middle crosspiece and the centerpiece to the outside meeting place of the third crosspiece and the vertical side piece. Slightly overlap the stake at the first crosspiece. Repeat this on the other side with the second 25-inch stake. Nail these horizontal pieces at the joints.
- 8). Place one of the 39 1/2 inch stakes on top of the meeting place of the side piece and the top crosspiece and angle it horizontally up to the top of the centerpiece. Put the stake behind the centerpiece and nail at the joints. Repeat this for the other side using the other 39 1/2-inch stake.
- 9). Turn the trellis over and place nails at all joints from the backside. Wrap gardeners wire around each joint and cover with twine for a finished look.
Stain or paint the trellis with an outdoor product. Allow to dry thoroughly.