Insurance Insurance

How To Get Your State Insurance License

In order to get started selling final expense life insurance, you need to be licensed in the state you're selling in. In most states, you simply need to pass their insurance license exam to sell final expense.

A short-term option is to get a temporary license under a licensed Final Expense agent or Final Expense broker. Most states will allow you to get a temporary insurance license that will allow you to sell life and health insurance. However, you will have to find an agent or agency that is willing to sponsor you. They will submit paperwork to the state government and for a period of 30-90 days you will be able to sell until you are ready to take the state licensing exam. There are many agencies that will do this for you.

However, it's recommended of course to get your permanent life insurance license. Contact your state insurance department for specific details. To prepare for you exam, we recommend taking an online prep. course that will prepare you for your insurance exam.

Most agents find it easier to start with selling Final Expense Life Insurance (small burial policies for Seniors), and for this, you only need the Life Insurance License but it's best to go ahead and get your health insurance license too. Having that license allows you to sell Medicare Supplemental Insurance, which is a good product to cross-sell when selling Final Expense Life Insurance.

There are many online schools where you can take insurance classes at your own pace. Most of these sites have video classes that you watch as if you are in a classroom and they have notes you can print out. We recommend printing out all their notes, listening to their videos and memorizing all the vocabulary. If you do this, you will pass the first time.
You can also take courses locally if you prefer to do it in person. You will have to do search online for your local area.

If you get your license before you sign on with any insurance company or agencies, this will give you the upper hand. Rather than signing at lower level contracts, you can sign on at higher commission levels.

In order to succeed in selling Final Expense Life Insurance, you must be at the highest commission level possible. So it's ideal to get your permanent license first. This will ensure that you are at the highest pay scale.

**To speed up getting your license, go ahead and schedule your State Insurance Test before you start your online classes (try to complete the entire course and take your test within a weeks time). You have to call your state insurance office to find out who gives out the test but generally it's a private company. In most states you are going to go through Prometric.

Leave a reply