Importance of Physical Education in High School
Regular Fitness Activity
- Physical fitness is an important component to leading a healthy lifestyle. The inclusion of regular fitness activity helps students maintain fitness, develop muscular strength and improve cardiovascular health. A regular fitness activity improves the absorption of nutrients by the body, improves digestive processes and increases physiological processes.
- The participation in physical education in high school provides a positive influence on a student's personality, character and self-esteem. In addition, the team-building process enhances communication skills, and the skills required to get along and cooperate with students of varying ethnic backgrounds and personalities.
Develops Motor Skills
- Physical education in high school is essential to the development of motor skills and the enhancement of reflexes. Hand-eye coordination is improved, as well as good body movements, which helps in the development of a healthy body posture.
Health and Nutrition
- Physical education teaches students the importance of physical health. High school is an age where students misinterpret the meaning of "overweight" and eating disorders prevail. Physical health and education informs students on sound eating practices and the essential guidelines for nutrition.
- High school students have substantial amounts of stress due to curriculum, homework, part-time jobs, families and peer pressures. Involvement in sports, recreational activities or other forms of physical fitness offer a method of stress relief.
- Special considerations may be necessary regarding physical activities for some students with health issues, and those students should proceed under the direction of a doctor.